Cuddalore – It was an amazing moment to witness ten deacons being ordained to the priesthood. This wonderful event took place on August 22nd at St. Joseph Seminary. Most Rev. Dr. Antony Anandarayar, Archbishop of Pondicherry–Cuddalore, ordained the deacons for the Servants of Charity in particular for the Divine Providence Province. Fr. Soosai Rathinam,Provincial Superior, and two of his councilors were present amongst the huge number parents, relatives, friends, benefactors, GLM members, priests, nuns and faithful to witness the beautiful occasion.
Rev. Fr. Arul, one the newly ordained priests, spoke his sentiments concerning the greatest gift, priesthood, has raised in his heart:
“Someone asked me what makes your priesthood different than other professions in the world. I waited for a while and replied, a priest is a priest forever, and it’s neither a title given nor a privilege. It’s a state of life following the one and only master, Jesus Christ. A priest is a priest 24/7. Priesthood is a gift from God. We ten newly ordained are very happy to receive this precious gift from the Lord, to follow Him and serve His kingdom. God has a plan of salvation for each one of us. We have discovered this plan for salvation in our lives through the amazing gift of the priesthood.
“Our priesthood is a being, not an isolated event, not a profession. This being involves the past, present and future. Christ, whom we loved so dearly, has called us to join His priestly ministry. This ministry begins on the day of ordination and continues through the resurrection until the whole universe is reconciled with the Father. Thus the priesthood we have received is eternal.
“Today we have many priests in the Catholic Church, but priestliness is missing in some of them. Priesthood is not the failure because it belongs to Christ the eternal priest, but individuals have failed. Knowing this, we the newly ordained priests have taken resolutions to secure and share our amazing gift:
- Holy Mass will be the sun of our day. We will celebrate every Mass as if it were to be our first, last and the only mass of our life. We will transform Mass into life lived and all our life into a continual Mass.
- The Divine Office is the best thermometer of our sacerdotal fervor. We will love it as a shield of our chastity. The Divine Office is a nuptial ring that binds us to the church, our spouse.
- Confessions will save our priesthood from illusions, superficiality and distractions.
- Souls will be our one and only passion.
- Charity will be the soul and the style of our priestly life.
- Our homilies will be drawn from personal meditations.
We are priests for people of God, not for ourselves. We will be always and everywhere, truly a priest. We are at the service and disposal of all. We will be men of God knowing the needs of the times.”